My HP Printer is Offline & How To Get Your HP Printer Back Online When we have to print any document, we choose the “Print” option. After this, we select the Printer to be used. But, if there appears no response, then the printer chosen must have gone to the offline state. To make it back online from the offline state, you will have to follow certain steps.
In some cases, when you command to print anything, the computer or the device you are using considers the printer to be offline. But, in actual, the printer is online and ready to use. This happens because of an error between the printer and your computer.
Sometimes, there may be simple reasons for this too. This reason may be that the cables are not properly connected. There may also be an error due to the paper jam.
Moreover, there can be an “Offline” error due to some technical problems with the printer software or driver. It completely depends on how old your printer is and how often you install the updates.
What Can I Do to Make the Printer Show Online again?
- Follow the following steps on and on to ensure fixing of your printer from offline in to online. Do not miss any step, you will definitely find the fault.
Physically Checking the Printer and Cables
- Check that both ends of the USB cable are properly inserted. And, if the printer has networks, then check the proper insertion of Ethernet cables. And, if your printer has a wireless connection, then check for the internet connection and printer’s connectivity to the router.
- If the printer is connected with the help of cable, try by inserting the cable in different sockets on your computer.
- To make sure that there is no fault in the cable, you can check by using another cable.
Manually Set the Printer Online
- Click on the start button on the left corner at the bottom of your device. Choose the option “Control Panel” and after this, ”Devices and Printers”.
- Right-click on the printer in question and after this, select the option “See what’s printing”.
- A window will get open and choose “Printer” option from the top menu bar.
- A drop-down menu appears. Select the option “choose printer online”
Cancel all the Print jobs To Get Printer Back Online
- From the option of “see what’s printing”, right-click and press “Cancel” option. It will cancel all the print jobs.
- After removing the print jobs, select the option of “Use Printer Online” again.
Removal of the Printer Drivers and Re-installation of the Printer
- From the “Devices and Printers” option, select the “printer” option. And then click on “remove device”.
- Now, reinstall the printer by clicking on the “Add a Printer” option from the “Devices and Printers’ option.
One Smart Way to Get the Printer Back Online
- To get your printer “online”, go to the “settings” and after that select “Printers’. Right-click the Printer option and click on “Use Printer Online”.
- Check if there are some print jobs. If yes, then remove them. Double click on the printer you want to select.
- Select the “Printer Menu” and click on the “Cancel all documents” option.
- If there were any print jobs or print jam, it may have caused the error and made the printer go offline. In this case, try printing again to make the printer come online again. Print a page as the test to check that there are no errors now.
- Find the printer and switch that to “Printer Off” and then, again turn it on again.
- Check and make sure there should be no print jams.
- Again, check the network connectivity and also wireless connections. Make sure every connection should be properly working. Reboot your computer or device.
- In case, if it does not work, you will need to do the re-installation of drivers.
Reinstalling Printer drivers
- For the reinstallation of drivers, go to “settings” and then “printers”. After this, select the Printer.
- Right-click the “printer” option and then, choose “Properties”.
- Select the Driver button after looking for it under “General” and “Details. Again choose the driver.
- There may be a possibility that you would have to download the driver. It can be downloaded from the website of the printer’s manufacturer.
- Reinstall printer. In the “Settings” menu and under the “Printers” option, select the Printer by going back.
- From the menu, delete the printer. Reinstall the printer again with the help of the “Add Printer” wizard.
From the website of the printer’s manufacturer, use the printer driver which is the latest.