To add a Printer to a Windows 11 laptop or desktop is a user-friendly task and requires no such technical knowledge. The printer helps in the effective and smooth functioning of your laptop. You can simply add a printer via using USB, your wireless network or Bluetooth.
Nowadays printing plays a very crucial part in the system if your work demands printing hard copies. Printing also makes reading easy by printing your documents. Installing a printer will also give you the ability to start your printing immediately after a quick setup.
Don’t worry if you don’t know how to add a printer to your Windows 11, we are here to help you. Below we have mentioned the systemic and easy methods with their steps which you need to follow.
How to add a printer in Windows 11 with a wired connection
Windows 11 can add the printer via USB and Ethernet-like a pro, you just need to follow the below-given steps-
1. In the first step you need to connect your printer with your PC. The available physical connections which are there will vary by printer.
2. After that you need to open the ‘Printers & scanners’ page in Settings. The easiest and the quickest way to perform this is to open the Start menu, then search for the Printers and select the Printers & scanners option from the results there. Another way is to open the Settings app then select the Bluetooth & devices option which is in the sidebar and after that click the Printers & scanners option from the list of options that you will get.
3. In the last step just locate your printer. In our case, it will appear as “HP DeskJet 3630 Series” right there. Windows 11 will identify the device and connect to it by itself.
When your printer appears here it will be available as a print destination across Windows as long as nothing happens to the cable that’s connecting your devices.
How to add a printer in Windows 11 via wireless protocols
If you want to add your printer via wireless protocols then follow the simple steps mentioned below-
1. First you need to make sure that your devices are on the same network (wifi).
2. In the second step click on the Add device option from the Printers & scanners page which is in the Settings tool. When you click this option it will make a progress indicator and a drop-down menu appear there.
3. Next you need to click on the Add device button which is next to your printer’s name. The original “Add device” button which you have clicked to discover this printer should be replaced by the “Refresh” button. Now if your printer was found then you can click on the new “Add device” button which will appear next to the list of discovered devices.
4. Then in the fourth step enter your password, PIN, or another authentication method they demand. In some printers, they will require authentication before it will get connected to the devices on the same Wi-Fi network level. The printer box will indicate the default information case, or a test sheet will get printed when it’s first set up.
5. Now check if your printer has been added or not. The printer will appear in the list of devices that are on the Printers & scanners page in the Settings box.
Now if both of your devices are connected to the same network then your printer should be available as the print destination. Windows 11 will also help in detecting if the manufacturer has made a management app available via the Microsoft Store or not, and if it is available then it will say “App available for this device” and will show you a button that will directly lead you to the right page in the marketplace.
How to add a printer in Windows 11 via Wi-Fi Direct… potentially
Many printed only support the Wi-Fi Direct method to add the printer which enables the peer-to-peer connections between both the devices. You need to follow the below steps to add a printer via Wi-FI Direct.
- 1. In the first step just enable the Wi-Fi Direct pairing on your printer. This Pairing will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and also from model to model, so you need to refer to your user manual for it.
- 2. Next step is to click on the Add device option from the Printers & scanners page which is in the Settings. This step is the same as when we connect via an existing Wi-Fi network, but this time we’re looking for something new here.
- 3. After that click on the Show Wi-Fi Direct printers option which is in the drop-down menu. This option will only appear if your Wi-Fi Direct printers are available otherwise you will only have an “Add manually” button there.
- 4. In the fourth step click on the Add device option next to your printer.
- 5. Now you have to enter the requested credentials. Then they might ask you to enter the WPS PIN which you will find somewhere on the printer. Once you have it just click on enter.
- 6. Rejoice or keep going to the next step. Ah, printers. Maybe it’s a problem with our hardware, perhaps it’s a pre-release bug in Windows 11, but entering the correct WPS PIN still prompts Windows to display the error message shown below. But we don’t have to reach for a bat yet—this is where the manual option comes in.
- 7. In the next step click on the ‘Add manually’ button from your drop-down menu. You better know the whole “two roads diverged in the woods…” line? We’re going to pick the other one here. Follow the first two steps in this section and after that click on the Add manually button there.
- 8. After that select on the Add a Bluetooth, wireless, or network discoverable printer option and then click on the ‘Next button option and move forward.
- 9. Now you need to select your printer then you will see a window called Add a device will appear with a progress bar and the result of its search for the available devices. If the printer you want is listed then select it and click on the “Next” button.
- 10. Lastly, Rejoice or accept your fate.
We hope that after following the above-mentioned methods you would be able to add a printer to your printer. If you face any kind of problem do mention that in the connect section, we will feel happy to help you